Monday, December 7, 2015

Pressure cooker or Crockpot steel cut oats

Pressure cooking today
More ideas for steel cut oats

3/5/24
use the doubled recipe- oil, steel cut oats, coconut milk, almond milk, cinnamon, salt, rolled oats. Put on low for 8 hours, then it automatically goes to warm.


10/2018- crockpot
     I used the double batch of oatmeal. The morning (or 4-24hours before you want the oatmeal) In a bowl I assembled oats, water, apple, cinnamon, salt, regular/rolled oats, sugar and left out on the countertop for 4-24 hours. In the evening around 8 or 9pm oiled the crockpot then added the oats mixture ingredients to it. Low 8 hours. Because I soaked the steel cut oats, the final product was smooth creamy oatmeal. I prefer creamy oatmeal compared to slightly crunchy.
     In the morning each person adds any or all of the following to their bowl of warm oatmeal- more fresh chopped apples, peanut butter, sugar, raisins, milk, flax, hemp.
     It turned out so delicious and wasnt dry or crunchy. Very much a success.

I melted oil the inside of the pressure cooker to help the oats not stick.
Double        Original Serving
2               1T         butter/oil
2               1c         steel cut oats
7               3 1/2c   cups water or fruit juice (*)
2               1           apple with peel, cored and diced
3               1 1/2t    ground cinnamon
1/2            1/2t       salt
2               1c         raisins (add after steel cut oats are cooked)
1-2            1-2T     flax added to each bowl right before it is served
2-3            1c        rolled oats (cook for 1 min, makes it more creamy)
  1. Add butter to pressure cooking pot. When butter is melted add the oats and toast, stirring constantly, until they start to darken and smell nutty, about 3 minutes.
  2. Add water, apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Keep stirring mixture until it is boiling and then put the lid on and start pressure cooking. (When I just put the lid on without stirring and without letting it get to boil, then the food inside burns faster on the bottom.  So thats why I make it boil and stir it, then put lid on) Select high pressure and set 10 minutes cook time.
  3. When beep sounds, turn off pressure cooker and use a natural pressure release for 10 minutes and then do a quick pressure release to release any remaining pressure.
  4. When valve drops carefully remove lid. Stir oats. Cover and let sit five or 10 minutes until oats are desired thickness.
  5. Top with raisins, milk,flax, nuts and additional brown sugar, if desired
12/7/15 only use water or juice not milk in the pressure cooker.  Milk burns on the bottom of the pot.  I cooked for 5min, I will do longer next time to make more creamy, it was a little crunchy.
I add 2T of ground flax to each bowl before serving it, add a little more water or milk.

3/21/17 Pressure cooker-
    I cooked for 10 min and I wanted it a little more creamy so I cooked for 10 more min. The steel cut oats were softer, but I wanted a little creamier. So I cooked some regular oats and added them to the steel cut oats and loved the texture even more.
(*) one time I used the fruit juice leftover from canned apples, it turned out well. 
I cooked the original serving, next time Cook double the amount so we have leftovers for the following days.

No comments:

Post a Comment